Have you tried the ViewVC interface as well?

  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/

Alf Høgemark wrote:
Hi

I have a number of times missed an an easy to use web interface for searching through all Jakarta source code and subversion change logs, and to also being able to see line number and subversion change log history for a particular file.

The OpenGrok tool ( http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/opengrok/ ) seems to me to be very useful in that respect. So I would like to suggest that OpenGrok is set up to search and index the Subversion repository at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ OpenGrok seems to be a lot more useful than what is currently available using a web browser to point to http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

I have set up a prototype test for running OpenGrok 0.5 on the JMeter source, to see how it looks and works. You can test the prototype at http://www.kanonbra.com/opensource/jakarta/jmeter/searchable_src/
Here are some links you can test to see various views :
http://www.kanonbra.com/opensource/jakarta/jmeter/searchable_src/search?q=&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=HttpSampler2 http://www.kanonbra.com/opensource/jakarta/jmeter/searchable_src/search?q=&defs=&refs=&path=HttpSampler2&hist= http://www.kanonbra.com/opensource/jakarta/jmeter/searchable_src/history/src/protocol/http/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/http/sampler/HTTPSampler2.java http://www.kanonbra.com/opensource/jakarta/jmeter/searchable_src/xref/src/protocol/http/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/http/sampler/HTTPSampler2.java

Note that the changelist numbers on my prototype are incorrect, the reason is that I have used "svk" to mirror the JMeter part of the subversion repository at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

I think it would be most useful if OpenGrok index was available for all the Jakarta projects. For example if I am doing some testing of JMeter, get an exception with a stack trace, and I want to look at a specific file, with line number subversion changelog history, from the commons httpclient. You can have a look at http://src.opensolaris.org/source/ to see how OpenGrok looks when it has indexed many projects.

Do other people miss a searchable index of all the source code of Jakarta, and an easy way to browse source code and subversion history, both of their own and other's projects ?

Any suggestions on how to proceed to get an OpenGrok index of the Jakarta subversion repository available from the jakarta website ?

Some thoughts on how it could be set up :
OpenGrok needs a servlet container to run, and ideally local file access to the subversion repository, to increase speed, and minimize load on subversion server. svnsync could be used to synchronize the repository to the machine where OpenGrok is running.
I think it would be enough to update the index once or twice per day.

Comments appreciated

Regards
Alf Hoegemark
JMeter committer