On 9/3/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Personally I'd ask the reverse question of the Fisheye users. Can
> OpenGrok serve the same purpose?
>
> If so, then we should stop using the commercial app and move to the open app.

Following up on similar comments made by various people on various
threads, perhaps we should consider assembling a complete Java open
source stack for use as an integrated development infrastructure. The
stack could use Harmony and Derby as a foundation, with products like
James, Tomcat, Daisy, Roller, EyeBrowse, OpenGrok, Scarab, and
Continuum running in between. The product niche would compare to
SourceForge, Google Code, CollabNet, and so forth.

We could test and document the system, and bundle it up for
distribution to the general public. (Perhaps relying on Maven as a
distribution mechanism, a la AppFuse.) Of course, we could also make
the platform available to interested ASF projects. Ultimately, some of
us might be using the same development infrastructure at our day jobs
that we use for Java work at the foundation.

The Cocoon group is already running Daisy in a zone, and we also have
a Continuum running in a zone, but here the idea is that we would have
a full suite of  ASF and related products running together, over
Harmony, as a single offering.

If we take the perspective that we are going to distribute the
platform to the general public, and perhaps deploy the platform here
for our own use, then the initiative would seem to fall within the
scope of a PMC or lab.

Thoughts?

-Ted.