Hello Haiming

we are using James2 since 2011.

You need to understand that offering information about productive mail
environments is something most administrators and users dont want to.
We have enough spam, enough virus mails, and enough intrusion events, so we do
not want more of that. So I think many james users are very very quiet users...

We self use james as integration environment for our product. So our customers
are james users. We do not offer informations about our customers, I think you
understand. And our customers are directly supported by us.

But if you would like to get information about stableness, I could offer my
opinion.

We use james2, cause james3 is not released yet. But we are on the way to
migrate our product and our customers.

James 2 is very very stable. We are running it 24/7 in production since 5
years. We are just using it as MTA (so no mailboxes), it is just a frontend to
exchange.

We need the Mailet environment and the complete mail handling, which is very
stable and does not to be implemented by us. We just implemented a mailet,
which is very easy. The mailet is closed code and calls our api, so this is our
part of integration. There is more work done, but the mailet is the important
work and the integration base.
We monitor james via nagios, use fail2ban, clamv, spamassassin.

Switching to James3 is necessary, cause James2 does not support StartTLS, which
is a important feature. There are other features we are missing and which will
never more get part of v2, so we will switch to v3.

You need to be aware that there are mails which could not been handled by james
v2, cause the sun mail api does a strict syntax parsing. If a mail does miss
some important syntax elements (like missing borders or wrong headers), the
mail may fail. But these did never happen to any real mail, in our production,
only to spam. Spammers do not use correct syntax.
These mails could also not been shown correctly by Outlook or by Thunderbird,
so it is a general problem, which may happen in postfix too, I don't know.

I know that postfix may be a second good solution. But this is not java, and
configuring postfix is, I think, very complicated.

So it is not a matter of "stable", it is a matter of features to switch to
james3.
If you would like a stable Mail System written in Java, I think this is the
best one to use. V2 or V3. My opinion is based on 5 years running it, and
developing with it.

We are using eclipse and debugging in eclipse is very easy with james, cause it
is open source java code.

The development of james did have a long period of "waiting", but the
develpment of james3 did increase the last few months. Which is very good, I am
happy about that, and the work is also based on Linagora (Thanks!!!), so it is
based by develoment companies using james. I wish to see a version release, too.

So I personally could recommend it, and you are very welcome if you would like
to use it.

Best regards
Bernd Waibel