An alternative is always to distribute the index to a set of servers. If you need to scale I guess this is the only long term perspective. You can do your own home grown lucene distribution or look into existing one. I'm currently working on katta (http://katta.wiki.sourceforge.net/) - there is no release yet but we are in the QA and test cycles. But there are other as well - solar for example provides distribution as well.

Stefan