On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Alexander Barkov wrote:

> Hello!
>
>   Yes, this seems to be true.
>
>   There was some incompatibilities in cache mode between versions. Check
> ChangeLog. Empty result may be also because of it, if you used old
> database
> then upgraded an indexer and started to index again with old database.

I did upgrade to 3.1.12 today, but I don't want to reindex everything. It
simpy takes too long- LitNet, the accademcal network of Lithuania is very
slow. I will try to find the cache mode entries with missing url table
records and erase them somehow. Now I am writing a small & simple tool to
dump a cache database file in human-readable form. I can mail it to you if
you want something like this for debugging.

I examined the cache database file structure (code is sometimes better
than documentation :) and I have one suggestion. Now it is not possible to
find out what data is stored in the file (wrd_pos, site_id, tag,
...). Would it be possible to include such information in let's say
UDM_CACHHEADER as a bit-mapped integer? I think it would be useful.
Btw I think I could write documentation about cache mode database file
structure :)

Also, I think it is possible to write a tool that converts from one kind
of database file (f.e. without word_pos) to another (with word_pos) and
vice versa. Only thing needed is default values that can be put instead of
real data. For what would be the effect of converting a database that has
no word_pos at all into a database that has all word_pos set to 0? I think
then the database could be reindexed incrementally, without having to
clear it and wait for a few weeks or months while it reindexes. What do
you think and should I try to write this tool?

> You can run several indexers using cachelogd. Check documentation
> in doc/cachemode.txt. Multithreading should work. It does work fine on
> my FreeBSD box.
This is good.

BTW, I do read docs. Thre was litle more information in doc/* than how to
run cachelogd, indexer and splitter, and that was not enough in my case.

Teofilis Martisius,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]