Well. This is because PHP front-end is not finnaly
ported to 3.2.x branch. I hope this will work OK
in next 3.2.4.

By the way, these characters marks searched words
for hilighting purposed. So, while we are fixing this,
you can use str_replace not to delete these characters,
but to replace them with HlBeg and HlEnd.

Regards!

--

   bar