I had "Alias http://www.myproductionsite.com
file:/Library/Webserver/Documents"  (Mac OS X setup filesystem)
Then "Server http://www.myproductionsite.com/";

Actually, I noticed it tended to get "hung-up" inside one specific folder.
 I moved that one out and now it seems to  get farther before getting an
Alias error.  I can't think of any sort of thing that could this...maybe
there is a symlink that creates a circular reference in the folder?  The
folder I moved out is only one of a 20 or so on the site and it has quite
a few folders inside it and a couple hundred HTML pages, so it isn't easy
to debug.

Now it simply stops indexing with "Error in Aliased URL: xxx" but I
haven't really looked into this new problem now...it is probably something
with that file.  I had a few reallllly large HTML documents (like 1.5MB
converted Excel spreadsheet) and maxsize was being ignored and the indexer
would seg fault on these...