To fix (actually, its still compiling now) my gcc-apple issue, I added "sys-devel/gcc-apple -fortran" to /Library/Gentoo/etc/portage/ package.use so that gcc-4.2 continues to compile with fortran support.

I need gcc-4.2 for it's gomp (OpenMP, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ OpenMP) support. I work on CSDP (a semidefinite programming library, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semidefinite_programming, https:// projects.coin-or.org/Csdp) and using OpenMP we are seeing an extra 50% speed increase over simply using a parallelized ATLAS (automatically tuned linear algebra software).

For anyone else who might be interested (I know you already saw this, grobian) the steps I took to install gcc-4.2 are listed 2/3 of the way down on this forum page: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic- p-3713019.html with the fix for an error a bit further down (gmp does not compile unless CHOST=none-apple-darwin is in your make.conf, is there a way to build this into the ebuild?)

Aaron