On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darks...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 2011-09-13 15:55, Askar Bektassov wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My question is straightforward, under what circumstances emerge world
>> re-emerges packages even if installed and updated?
>>

> So, strictly speaking, emerge takes an atom and will install that. In this
> case, 'world' is the atom. 'emerge world' will REINSTALL every atom in your
> world file (.../var/lib/portage/world). The canonical way to UPDATE all
> packages is with the short options "-uDN", emerge -pvuDN world.

Jeremy,

What a swift response! You effectively addressed my question: is it possible
that when I was using Gentoo/Linux few years ago (<2007), portage behaved
the way you described even if the user was not appending the --update
option?

I might be wrong, but my memory suggests that on several machines with
Gentoo/Linux installed from stage 1 I ended up using emerge world without
the -u option and it always did the right thing (updating packages to the
best version).

Thank you in advance,
Askar Bektassov
(Аскар Бектасов)