On 26/11/18 08:32, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 26-11-2018 08:27:41 +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
>> On 26/11/18 08:11, Fabian Groffen wrote [as excerpted]:
>>> Hi Sam,

>>> I'm still missing the infra to administer this, but I have a wrapper
>>> script to bootstrap-prefix.sh (I'm sure others (haubi?) have too) to do
>>> an unattended bootstrap.  I want this to run automatically on some boxes
>>> I have, but some of them will take several days to complete.
>>> Another thing is for a bootstrapped prefix to periodically emerge --sync
>>> and emerge -Dua world.  Add on top of that detecting which packages have
>>> keywords for said prefix and installing them, and we should be able to
>>> be notice breakage rather sooner than later.
>>>
>> From what I have observed, breakage seems to be undesirably frequent, and
>> there are regularly users in #gentoo-prefix on IRC complaining that
>> bootstrap-prefix.sh fails.
>>
>> I'm sure that if native Gentoo hardware isn't available, it should be
>> possible to approach OSL or other providers (I, myself, am using
>> IntegriCloud for powerpc development) to sponsor a host, and/or put
>> together a funding bid to the Trustees (there is capital available).
>>
>> TL;DR I don't think "ENOINFRA" is a particularly good excuse in this
>> day-and-age of cloud-based solutions.
> Sorry.  with Infra, I didn't mean the team or the hardware, I meant the
> scripting/software to keep track of the builds and visualise their
> results.  I can fire off a bootstrap right now, but there is nothing
> picking up on their results.
>
>> Let us help you, and perhaps we can get the very popular Gentoo Prefix onto
>> a slightly firmer footing! :)
> At this point I think he project at the very least needs a lot of
> helping hands.  I totally agree, automation is the way forward, but it
> always will need caretakers.
>
> Thanks,
> Fabian

I'll throw my 'oar' in here too - I've been helping out extensively with
the kernelCI project @alicef spawned. We're presently using buildbot to do
automated emerges and a 'make defconfig' on the kernel sources, just to
make sure patching works, and compiles. We've actually reached a point too,
where we QEMU-boot said kernel image into a pre-built stage4.

I'm happy to share some of the know-how to get some of this spun up for
prefix if it's desirable. I've had to replicate the 'production' setup
locally in order to develop and test changes, so its a process I'm becoming
pretty familiar with.

Buildbot is python, so it integrates pretty well with portage, and is
accessible for devs. Let me know if this is a direction that would be
favourable.

https://github.com/gentoo/Gentoo_kernelCI/

Best regards,

veremitz/Michael.