there's also a good tutorial of setting up xorg in the gentoo-wiki.

Finally, I just installed xorg and nvidia on my system. (Note. It still seems to screw up the symlinking, because my PKG_CONFIG_PATH now needs to be manually set to point to /usr/lib64 as well. Something seems to be awry on my system after installing xorg.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I commented out DRI, and set the default bitdepth to 24bit because it kept defaulting to 8 bit, and it worked great (getting around 7000 fps on glxgears).