On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 10:56 +0000, Caitlin Ross wrote:
> On 25/06/05 00:21:33, Tres Melton wrote:
>
> >     Another question, at what point is a reboot required?  I know
> > that emerging a new kernel requires a reboot (at least to use it) but
> > what about some of the other packages?  Take glibc for instance,
> > almost everything links to some part of it (except statically linked
> > programs) so if you update that should you restart?  It seems that
> > the file locking and linking in the kernel should keep the old stuff
> > in memory pages as long as it is being referenced by something but
> > everything new should just use the new libraries.
>
> My solution to that is: emerge sys-apps/lsof
>
> The command "lsof +L1" will then give you a list of all processes which
> have deleted files open, including binaries and libraries which have
> been upgraded since the process started.  You can then judge for
> yourself what is easier: restarting the affected apps and daemons, or
> just rebooting.

And it looks like we have a winner.  I learned something new and many
thanks for that.  I knew about lsof but not the +L1 option.  I'm now
using "lsof +L1 -c 0".  This is a very sane solution.

I just tried it and it is showing that that java_vm is accessing an old
version of blackdown but I didn't start java.  Would that be Mozilla
that started it?  Evolution says it is accessing deleted files but it
crashed shortly after upgrading and I restarted it so why would it be
accessing three different addressbook.db.summary files?  Is it possible
that Evolution unlinked the file but forgot to close it?

Previously I just waited for the system to become unstable and then
rebooted.  Don't laugh too hard but I've been know to continue running X
for more than a week after upgrading it.  :-/

Regards,
The River Rat
--
Tres