On Fri, July 8, 2005 11:21, Duncan wrote:

> Expanding on what Zac said, ensure your user is in the audio group, and
> that udev is set up to use that group for audio devices and that the mode
> is 660.

that was the pointer for me[3], i have disabled arts and enabled alsa olso
in the kernel after that rebuild all that hasuse arts[1] in use settings,
and last emerged all alså supporting tools[2], wonderfull it sound is
again working on my asus sk8n

> Also, check your PAM settings, console.perms IIRC.  Gentoo is moving away
> from using the PAM console-perms module by default, because it causes

will pam still be an problem for me now when the silence is dead here ?

using kernel 2.6.12 r4 now

[1] equery hasuse arts
[2] equery hasuse alsa
    emerge from the listning above