Jason Cooper posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:52:08 -0400:

> Now there you go.  FFI.  Failure to Follow Instructions. :)
>
> Looking at buying a new MB and processor so thought I'd listen in on
> amd64 and (possibly) dual-core issues under gentoo.  Yes, am reading the
> docs also. :)

AMD64s do dual-core really well.  I'm not running dual-core yet, but I'm
running dual 242 Opterons, and the CPU/CPU teaming is better on AMD64, due
to the HyperTransport Interconnect, than with typical x86s.  Dual-core
only increases the cooperative effect.

(FWIW, I'm running a Tyan s2885 dual socket 940, dual-core capable tho
it's now an older board, AGP and PCI-X, not PCI-Express.  It's got four
slots for memory associated with each CPU/MMU, with the BIOS able to
handle 2G sticks, so a max 16 GB memory.  I've been very happy with it
since I figured out my gig of PC3200 generic memory wasn't quite good to
the rated clock, and declocked it slightly (3000) in the BIOS.  I expect
I'll stick with the same board, after all it's a $400 board, upgrading
memory to at least 8 gig, and possibly upgrading to dual-core CPUs giving
me a quad-core system, thru another couple years at least.)

A dual-CPU Opteron system has met all my expectations and then some.  I'm
/very/ satisfied.  So... regardless of whether you go single dual-core or
dual dual-core, it's a decision I don't believe you'll regret -- as long
as you aren't a gamer expecting double the performance from today's
single-threaded games.  If that's your thing, top-of-the-line single-core
is better for your money.  Multitasking, however... Running emerges
without interrupting or slowing your desktop... dual amd64, whether core
or cpu, does GREAT at that!