On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 09:40 +0100, Toby Fisher wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> First, thanks to all those who responded to my query last week regarding
> migrating from amd64 to ~amd64.  Well, it all went to plan, well nearly, I
> managed to trash /var (we won't go into how that happened, suffice to say it
> won't happen again).  This in one sense made it easier because Portage
> thought it had no packages at all, so I just installed what I wanted and I
> do now have a functional ~amd64 system - most of the compiles were done
> overnight so no time was really wasted.  However, I do have one problem.  I
> can't seem to persuade Sandbox to compile.  It bombs out in the configure
> stage complaining that the c compiler cannot create executables.  Now I know
> this to be untrue as I've compiled my complete system with no troubles,
> except for Sandbox.  I had to get around the problem by emerging a binary
> package of Sandbox-1.2.9 (~amd64 wants 1.2.13) provided by a friend of mine
> running amd64.  It doesn't seem to have broken anything but I am concerned
> as this problem will only rear its ugly head again the next time I want to
> perform a system update.  Any ideas anyone?  If it helps, looking at the
> config log it seems to be building stuff for ABI32 and 64, and for the
> former it is using a libdir of /usr/lib32.  This is the only thing I can see
> that might be causing the problem; and yes, I am running a multi-lib set-up.

This is caused by something missing in your 32-bit toolchain, causing
the 32-bit sandbox emerge to fail.  You can find out for sure by looking
in the config.log for sandbox, but the three parts of the equation are
gcc with -m32 support, 32-bit glibc, and 32-bit libsandbox.  Installing
the binary package may have fixed your problem, if the problem was
sandbox, so try again.  Otherwise, take a look here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dang/2005.x-no-multilib-to-multilib-upgrade.txt

--
Daniel Gryniewicz
Gentoo AMD64 Team / Gentoo Gnome Herd / AMD64 Operational AT Lead