On Wednesday 02 November 2005 05:30, Nick Currier wrote:
> Looks like that got it guys. Thanks tons for the help.... It seems I broke
> portage by running only part ~amd64 packages. revdep-rebuild found it but
> it took twice to fix..... depclean wants to get rid of tons of stuff though
> so I'm thinking this is a bad idea or I have bigger problems.... Kudos to
> AMD64 Gentoo for the best support team in open source.

It's normal for a system that hasn't been maintained the way it should ;)
1. Look over the list of packages that would be unmerged with:
# emerge --pretend depclean
2. Inject the packages that should not be removed in your world file with:
# emerge --noreplace <package name>

Repeats steps 1 and 2 untill you are satisfied.
3. clean the remaining packages with:
# emerge --ask depclean
4. rebuild packages that were built against older/removed libaries:
# revdep-rebuild --pretend (part of app-portage/gentoolkit)

In order to keep your system clean in the future upgrade world like this:
1. upgrade your world, remerge packages that have a changed USE flag and
upgrade deep dependencies.
# emerge --ask --deep --newuse --upgrade world
2. rebuild packages that were built against older/removed libaries
# revdep-rebuild --pretend

If you ever remove a package do it like this:
1. remove the package
# emerge --ask --unmerge package
2. remove the dependencies but always check the output. other packages might
use them even though they are not a direct dependency
# emerge --ask depclean
3. rebuild packages that were build against libaries you just removed
# revdep-rebuild --pretend

This is how I maintain all my systems.
If anyone has remarks/tips I'd be glad to hear them.