Olivier Crete posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:35:25 -0500:

> Last time I checked, the grub configure script just passed -m32 to gcc
> on amd64. That's why I made grub-static which is exactly which is, I
> believe, all you can use on a system that doesnt have a compiler that
> can spit out 32bit code.

Thanks.  That's as I thought... unfortunately.

I wonder if they'll eventually develop a 64-bit boot method, or develop
the compiler to understand at least the minimal required instructions...
just as a 32-bit compiler now does.  (If I'm not mistaken, the initial
boot sequence isn't even 32-bit, but 16-bit and possibly even 8 or 10 bit,
so the 32-bit compilers have had to be adopted to at least manage that,
without a special 16-bit glibc or compiler mode.)  Such a development
would certainly be convenient for us from-source crowd, but I suppose it's
not a priority, given from-source is a definite minority, and will
certainly be so for a /few/ years yet.