> I do find it surprising/curious/mystifying that I can run, for
> instance, a 32-bit Firefox with 32-bit helper apps, all running from
> the chrooted environment, but as far as I can tell, you are saying it
> will be using a 64-bit version of X, along with 64-bit ATI drivers,
> 64-bit Alsa and a 64-bit kernel, etc., to display the web pages and do
> the audio.
>
> I'm sure I don't have this quite right in my mind yet. I presume that
> to build FIrefox and mplayer in the chrooted environemnt I will end up
> building a 32-bit version of X, etc., but I guess it's not used?

That is correct, your 32 bit chroot will need all 32 bit apps built for
the required libraries. This means you will have another full compile of X
and other dependencies (thats why you need lots of diskspace).

When the actual 32 bit X app starts up, it will use sockets to talk
directly to your 64 bit X server.

This is the same as starting a X application on a remote system with X
forwarding. The actual code is executed on the remote system (what ever
the platform is) and the display is sent of the network and displayed on
your local X server.

Random Thought: