On 1/10/06, Andrea Chiavelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've recently installed gentoo for amd64 2005.1-r1. After the first
> emerge sync and emerge  -u portage I had this bad surprise: after
> upgrading gcc from 3.4.3 (I thing this was the previous version
> installed)

Actually, it was gcc 3.3.x, which provided libstdc++.so.5.  The new
gcc uses a different C++ ABI, and uses libstdc++.so.6, so you should
have rebuilt all C++ appliations, including python, before removing
the old gcc.

As a temporary fix, you can copy libstdc++.so.5 from the live CD to
/usr/lib.  That should allow python to start working again.  Then you
can run "revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5" to rebuild
everything that is linked against the old library.

-Richard