On Thursday 19 January 2006 18:01, Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hi,
> I ran the updater.  I received
> ' * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
>  * IMPORTANT: 57 config files in /etc need updating.
>  * IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /usr/kde/3.4/share/config need updating.
>  * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

I asked you once before: "is Gentoo the right choice for you?"
With all the posts you've made on this mailinglist since I asked this
question, I can say without a doubt in my mind "no".

But, like many before me, I'll try to send you in the right direction.
Take a very good look at the following:
>  * IMPORTANT: 57 config files in /etc need updating.
>  * IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /usr/kde/3.4/share/config need updating.
>  * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

You know what this represents?
This represents your system "crying out" for maintenance!
Now thoroughly read the following links

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_etc-update
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_dispatch-conf

And update your config files before you even start to think about anything
else.