On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 10:45 +0000, Gavin Seddon wrote:
> That's valuable info.  These dual core amd's are on ebay for
> 'next-to-nothing', pls tell me more, what are the PPC machines, I have
> seen PPC to be an option for a Gentoo dist. but didn't know what it is.
>
> > There's a reason that Itinium was called the Itanic.... It's probably
> > the biggest waste of effort Intel and HP have ever embarked on.  Next to
> > no-one supports it, and it's special features arn't really all that
> > special compared to the average Opteron.  If you want the most
> > robust/fastest chipset, Power chips are the way to go.  (Not Power PC
> > (PPC), just Power chips).  A workstation running dual Power5 chips would
> > more or less obliterate anything you could care to throw at it.
> >
> > If you're strictly speaking of the x86 world of chips (Which btw the
> > Itanium isn't really more then >85% compatible) then the dual core
> > socket 940 opterons are still the best chip, followed by the dual core
> > socket 939 Athlon 64s.  If you are running a rack or thirty of blades,
> > the difference between the IA64 and the AMD64 heat output and wattage
> > ingestion more then pays for itself.  Performance wise, the Opterons are
> > also far enough ahead of the Intel offerings to make it worthwhile to
> > stick with AMD.
> >
> > YMMV and My opinions are my own.
> >
> --
> Dr Gavin Seddon
> School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
> University of Manchester
> Oxford Road, Manchester
> M13 9PL, U.K.

PPC is the chip-set formerly used by Apple aka G4 & G5.  They run slower
then an x86 chip-set, but pack more into each cycle (For more info on
that look up the RISC vs. CISC debate/comparisons such as here:
http://cse.stanford.edu/class/sophomore-college/projects-00/risc/risccisc/ ).
Generally speaking, with software designed for it, a G5 2.1 GHz is roughly
equivalent in power to a ~AMD64 3000+.

However, you'll note I suggested the Power chip, not the Power PC chip.
The Power chip is a series of chips designed and manufactured by IBM for
use in heavy workstations and servers.  The current generation of the
Power series is called the Power5.(Links to press nause:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/news/pressreleases/2005/oct/annc_1004.html &
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/494/mackerras.html)   I don't know if
Gentoo supports the Power series of chips, but I do know that IBM has gotten
SuSE and RedHat (at minimum) ported onto it (More useful links:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/power/articles.html ).

Hope this helps.

B. Vance