On 1/23/06, Darren Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm currently looking to build a cost effective web/email server.
>
> I'm considering using an ASUS A8N-E with an x939 Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2Ghz
> processor. I'm also hoping to use RAID-1 over dual SATA2 drives. In
> researching gentoo and SATA2, I've come across numerous problems that
> people are experiencing with the 2005.1-r1live-cd install and the
> sata_nv driver and SATA in general. Has this been fixed? Does anyone
> have any advice for me? Has anyone successfully installed on SATA2
> drives running with an nforce4 chipset mobo? If they haven't, were they
> able to get SATA2 drives running as SATA1? Or at least SATA1 from a
> fresh install of the 2005.1-r1 AMD64 livecd? I noticed a lot of problems
> with the ASUS A8N-VM/CSM which is why I'm investigatin the A8NE.
>
> If this has already been discussed, I apologize in advance... I'm new to
> the list and couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.
> --

hello,

I installed gentoo from another livecd and then compiled the kernel
and the initrd image to support sata_nv.

It boots fine for me. Forget about using the nvraid, is not hardware,
so if you need it, go sw raid or buy a decent RAID card.

cheers
--
     Jordi Molina Casas (warp3r)
       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]