Thanks Duncan for your mail - I'll do my best to follow your guidelines

On Tuesday, 24 January 2006 15:36, Duncan wrote:
> The biggest suggestion I have is DON'T STOP WITH THE INSTALLATION SECTION
> IN THE HANDBOOK!  You said you've "toyed" with Gentoo, but I that doesn't
> really say how much you know about it.

by "toying" I mean I've run through the basic installation several time, both
on x86 and ppc machines, mostly with the goal of getting a better
understanding of how  a Linux distribution is set up. I did not stop with the
installation section, but it's clearly the part I know best!

Usually, after that, I got to some place were I had a problem and... let
Gentoo live were it was while continuing to use my main distro (Mepis Linux
for over two years). I did come back from time to time to try things, such as
going through an emerge --update --deep world to see if I would manage it.

Since I will keep my trusty double-Athlon running (either as main computer or
backup server) I'll have plenty of time to setup the Opteron and even a
complete crash would not be a big problem at first.
So as far as time permits I'll RTFM in details this time.

I'd just end with saying that I am neither a progammer, nor a learned system
manager, so some subtilities about flags and so escape my understanding.
However, being a teacher, I'll be happy toget back to student level and ask
questions here when necessary.

Regards,

Thierry

Frank Zappa