B Vance posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:19:50 -0500:

> Thank you for explaining that Duncan.  Guess it's time for me to start
> reading a bit more then I have lately.

Take a look at the stuff "Hannibal" has written for ArsTechnica.  The
articles are originally released "gratis" in HTML format.  PDFs are
available to ArsTech registered members (paid).  He's very good at
including lots of nice diagrams and the like, and explaining things in
normal English.  Reading the articles doesn't require all sorts of
technical literacy.  He also put out some articles explaining what pixel
shaders and the like are, and how modern graphics cards work, again, with
all sorts of nice diagrams and easily understood explanations that
actually help one understand what it is those $500 cards have in them that
allows them to charge that kind of money!

ArsTechnica is of course a tech forum primarily aimed at gamers, altho
they cover enough other stuff to be on my knewsticker feed (I don't
consider myself a gamer).  http://arstechnica.com

The early article list:  http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html

Of special interest:
Understanding Bandwidth and Latency (11/2002), Understanding the
Microprocessor (12/2002), Understanding Pipelining and Superscalar
Execution (12/2002), and Intro to 64-bit Computing and x86-64 (3/2003).

The second list, bottom of http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu.ars

Of  interest there:
Intro to Multithreading, Superthreading, and Hyperthreading, Pipelining
parts I & II, and Inside AMD's Hammer: the 64-bit arch behind the Otperon
and Athlon 64.

Of course, if you are interested in articles on the Power arch, Intel's
stuff, and the XBox 360, there are articles on that and more there as well.

I /believe/ I've seen some of his articles reprinted elsewhere, too.
I stumbled upon one that I recognized while googling at one point, on some
Linux related site, IIRC.  However, I'm not sure whether that was
single-time or a regular thing, or how much after Ars gets them they can
be reprinted elsewhere.