Kyle Liddell posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:58:19 -0600:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 05:28:25AM +0100, Harm Geerts wrote:
>> I have a 6600GT with nvidia's driver, screen updates are similar to
>> downloading a detailed picture from the internet with a 56k modem :+ I
>> went through my log and found this: (EE) GLX is not supported with the
>> Composite extension When I've got composite loaded I can't use glx
>> anymore, which is not something I want to miss.
>
> You can still use GLX with composite, but there's another option you
> have to specify since it's supposedly broken on some things.  (Now, I've
> never had any problems...but the most GL stuff I've done with it are
> XScreensaver and maybe UT/UT2k4.) Anyway, put this in your Device
> section of xorg.conf:
>
> Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"

Is this only with NVidia's proprietaryware or does it apply across the
board?

I'm not getting glx due to a missing symbol that I've yet to track down (I
tracked down a few others, but not that one) running xf86-video-ati
(Radeon 9250, as I said).  So I'm not getting it anyway.  However, with
the improvements of gcc 4.1 and my CFLAGS, plus the fact that I'm running
a dual Opteron, speed is still slow but now tolerable, at least.  CPU
utilization is running 50-80% of one CPU, which would be unacceptable if
that was all I had, but with the dual Opteron, as I said, it's at least
tolerable now.  I can probably do a bit more tweaking and get it a bit
better, and if I can trace that glx missing symbol down as well, it should
be fine.

As for those screen shots, I had to go to work, which is why I couldn't do
them at the time.  However, I'm home again now, and will see about
creating and posting them shortly.