On Wednesday 15 Feb 2006 06:39, Duncan wrote:
> Guy Harrison posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
> excerpted below,  on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:59:23 +0000:
> > If I can trouble you with a further question, within kickerrc
> > [Kmenu] where do I go next to find its entries?
>
> The question doesn't quite parse as is, here, so I'm forced to make
> some assumptions about what you meant.  If they are wrong, you will
> therefore find the following likely doesn't answer your question, altho
> it might be useful info in general.

It is. Thanks a lot.

[snip saved email :-)]

> Back to your question...  Unfortunately, the answer to where one finds
> the menu layout for KDE isn't as simple as it used to be, and to be
> honest, I can't give you as straight an answer here as I could a few
> years ago, because of that. KDE is complying with the freedesktop.org
> menu standards,

I'll try to get an overview of this.

> which work one way, as well as providing backward
> compatibility with its own older layout, which would have been quite
> familiar to anyone used to the MSWormOS start menu, as it kept the menu
> in the same sort of tree, located at /usr/share/applnk, I believe it
> was.

Caveat I've not read anything on freedesktop.org yet but nevertheless the
links within the older layout $HOME/.kde/share/applink appear to
correspond with the apps which remained - nano & xedit here. The only
other editors in the "Editors" k-menu section were the missing KDE apps,
kwrite,kate,kedit.

> Those work somewhat differently. It's possible there's a third
> standard in there as well, maybe backward compatibility with GNOME's
> pre-freedesktop.org layout, and maybe others as well.

Understood.

[snip]

Just after I posted yesterday, my "home icon" reappeared in the kicker,
complete with its keyboard shortcut. I am now fully restored! <G>

TIA
Guy