On Saturday 18 February 2006 23.20, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'll jump in here also as I'm on an AMD64 which otherwise is workign
> pretty well but I have numerous printing problems also. Maybe my
> problems are similar to Thierry's and some answers will help him. (I
> hope...)
>
> My environment is an AMD64 machine running Gentoo-64 and then two
> printers on my network. One is an Epson on an older FC2 machine and
> the other is an HP on a Mac Mini running OS X. I periodically lose the
> ability to print anthing. Sometimes I print from the AMD64 to the MAc
> using the lpr command and it can take up to 2 hours before the file
> gets printed. Other times I can print and it comes out immediately.
>
> One most frustrating problem is that simple commands like lpstat -a do
> not work unless BOTH the Mac and the FC2 machine are on. If EITHER
> machine is turned off lpstat fails tellign me it cannot reach the CUPS
> server. If I try to print when either machine is off I'm likely to get
> nothing.
>
> Is this normal? It would be better if it would just work with whatever
> is turned on. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Well, I unfortunately can't answer to these questions. Once I've got Linux
running smoothly on the amd64 I'll probably take a look at Mac printing...

However, I figured out what my problem was when, after I changed some USE
flags and followed the advice to recompile things to take these flags into
account, I once again ran into the problem of gnome-print not compiling.

So I googled a bit to try and understand what exactly gnome-print was doing (I
have not compiled Gnome "itself" as I use KDE), didn't understand it really
but found a statement saying that "programs could use gnome-print or
gimp-print".
I  did not have gnome-print and could not get it, so I emerged gimp-print
and... my computer prints!

So it appears that cups runs on another "level" than gimp-print and that both
are required to get something printed, while kde... well, I don't know what
kde uses but here it obviously needed gimp-print. Perhaps someone  with more
knowledge on this list will explain, anyway as far as I am concerned it now
works.

Thierry

Frank Zappa