I am running a ~amd64 system and I update the system every few days with

emerge sync && emerge -uavDN world

Over the weekend I found that Firefox, Thunderbird and openoffice all broke
down and threw seg fault errors. All of these were installed as binaries. I
removed thunderbird and installed and compiled the sourcfe version and got it
working. So there appears to be a generic problem with 32 bit binaries. I
have tried revdep-rebuild and removing and reinstalling openoffice but it
still throws an error. I also tried various ideas on the internet - changing
kde theme, deleting .gtk config files, running as another user, but they all
fail with the same segfault.

kryton kevin # ooffice2
      1565:     Hµÿÿ      1565:
$¥ÿÿ/usr/lib32/openoffice/program/soffice: line 233:  1565 Segmentation
fault      "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

Any ideas? I am kind of lost without OpenOffice.

Kevin