Alex Bennee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Mon, 12 Jun 2006
08:49:39 +0100:

> Every time I run "eselect opengl set xorg-x11" it switches my opengl
> headers to the 32 bit versions which obviously breaks compiles like X.
> Unfortunately it seems to get called in the xorg ebuilds which means I
> currently can't build X.
>
> Although the man page assures me there is some html documentation for
> eselect I can't seem to find it on my system. Is there a build flag I
> should be enabling?
>
> Regardless of finding documentation does anyone know how to stop eselect
> breaking my setup?

OK, I don't have the problem 32-bit libraries merged, and don't have the
issue, which hints at one work-around, anyway.  Assuming you are running
the 32-bit compatibility binary packages, simply temporarily unmerge them,
then run eselect opengl and do your xorg merges and whatever, then remerge
the 32-bit stuff.  Because it's a binary compatibility package that's
precompiled, the remerge shouldn't be a big deal as it'll go pretty fast.

If you are using the 32-bit chroot option and experiencing the problem,
the unmerge/remerge solution will be rather more difficult as the remerge
would do the 32-bit compile and therefore take longer.  In this case,
consider simply temporarily moving the 32-bit library dir containing the
problem libraries out of the search path, say to /home or something, while
you do the otherwise problematic 64-bit compiles, or umount the 32-bit
chroot, if it's a separate mount, or use a mount --bind (see the mount
manpage) or similar to mount something over the problem 32-bit dir,
therefore hiding it temporarily.