On Saturday 12 August 2006 20:35, Duncan wrote:
> Peter Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat, 12 Aug
>
> 2006 18:35:43 +0100:
> >> "Support for X", fine, and as varied as that support might be, that's
> >> about as detailed as one can get in use.desc and stay accurate for all
> >> packages.
> >
> > I disagree. It's easy enough for use.desc to say "This will pull in the
> > whole X-Window System" or "Enables programs to handle WMF files". Or even
> > just to include a single-letter G or L prefix to each description as a
> > first step.
>
> But the thing is, different packages may do different things with a USE
> flag.  Support for X is often linking against xlib (as in the example I
> gave), but doesn't have to be that major, and (again as in the example)
> could be a minor as adding a few icons and *.desktop files.  The only way
> to describe the effect of a USE flag on each package, in many cases, is to
> do just that, make the description per package, not global.

so instead of a short but useful hint, which is enough in 95% of cases,
concentrated in two files, you want the user to search all packages and read
thousands of descriptions just to figure out if he wants the flag or not?

Are you insane?

Oh, and for local-flags, there are several descriptions, have a look at ufed.
For the global ones 'pulls in X' or 'needed for mp3/wmv/avi support' is
really enough to know.It does not matter, that the single package does. I
want them to have wmv/mp3/X support, how they are do it, is the ebuild's
problem, not mine. I set a flag, the ebuild maintainer has to figure out how
to react to it.