I have the extact same card in a Compaq laptop. First, disable DRM in
your kernel. Then emerge ati-drivers. If it fails, try to follow it's
instructions, but if it fails during compile and gives you no
suggestions, then echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64" >>
/etc/portage/package.keywords and try again. It should work. If it
doesn't, let me know and I'll try to give you some more details. I
don't remember much because my last install was a few months ago.

-Peter