----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniele Salatti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problems emerging Gnome

The problem is that my make.conf doesn't contains all these USE flags as reported by emerge --info...I can't figure out where all the reported mess came from...

there is a thing called a "profile" provided by the developers for an architecture which provides a standard set of packages and use flags (in /etc/make.profile).
This base set of flags is modified by use flags in packages you emerge, by
entries you may make in /etc/portage/package.use, and by entries you make in
/etc/make.conf.
I think emerge --info USE="" summarizes all these  sources.
I'm guessing you used genkernel and/or the 2006.1 LiveCD or 2006.1 LiveDVD
and got lots of extra stuff.

Try: (I think you got a bad package)
empty the following directories and remove them:
/var/db/pkg/app-text/gnome-doc-utils-0.6.1
/usr/share/doc/gnome-doc-utils-0.6.1
/usr/share/gnome-doc-utils
/usr/portage/app-text/gnome-doc-utils

then:

rm /usr/portage/distfiles/gnome-doc-utils-0.6.1.tar.bz2
rm /usr/portage/distfiles/gnome-doc-utils-0.4.4.tar.bz2

Then:

emerge gnome-doc-utils

if it works, great. Emerge gnome. If not:

emerge -v gnome-doc-utils >> /stuff

/stuff will be a long detailed report on the compile process.
will send you mine for comparison purposes off list.
line 14 checking for XML::PARSER...ok may be important
you should not have any http: 's in your output --- looks
like run happened before compiling completed.