"Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted
below, on  Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:06:47 -0700:

> On 9/14/06, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I'm just curious whether anyone besides me is noticing their
>> machine feeling somewhat sluggish since doing the gcc-4.1 upgrade?
>
> I noticed this morning that MythTV's frontend program is often using
> >90% CPU when viewed in top.
>
> It never used more than 10% before the upgrade to gcc-4.
>
> Clearly this is at least part of the problem here.

Indeed, that would explain your observations.  Perhaps either the
front-end or some library it loads is one of the few programs that just
doesn't work quite right with gcc-4.1 yet.  Good detective work!

So it would appear you have to try recompiling it with gcc-3.x again, and
see if that eliminates the problem.  If not, you'll have to check its
dependency tree and try recompiling it.  Get that 90% off the CPU and
maybe you'll see the better general efficiency of gcc-4.1, regardless of
whether you try my cflags or not.  In fact, that's what I'd recommend you
do, before trying my cflags.  You'd then have a better base on which to
measure whether my cflags made a difference for you or not, as opposed to
what gcc-4.1.x itself did.