On 9/25/06, Patric Douhane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok that could be it, though I've never noticed that there could be something
wrong with the memory before, but I ran Windows XP and perhaps you don't
notice such problems then? Can I test my memory with Memtest86??

Not really.  memtest86 can really only tell you if you have bad cells,
which is actually extremely rare.  This is because it works in a very
linear fashion, and only between the CPU and memory.  Compiling
involves random access to different memory cells, rows, and even
pages, as well as DMA transfers to/from the disk[s].

You can find a better script for testing memory here:

http://people.redhat.com/dledford/memtest.html

You might have to make some edits to get it to run on a Gentoo box.

-Richard