On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:55, Peter Davoust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
TOP-POSTED about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play WMV?':
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:29 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 September 2006 06:25, "Christoph Mende"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play
> > WMV?':
> > > Latest stable version of ffmpeg is supposed to support wmv.
> > Yeah, I don't have any -bin packages installed on ~amd64 and I can
> > play some WMVs.
> There are different versions of wmv. Last time I checked (on Ubuntu
> atleast), the 64 bit of the w32codecs didn't work for WMV 9. The 32 bit
> one seems to work perfectly though. You also have to have 32-bit
> mplayer.

Please don't top-post.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter to me when proprietary formats aren't
available.  When I moved to amd64, I happily shed both flash and WMVs.
(At the time I don't believe either firefox-bin or mplayer-bin was
available.)  I figure if it's not important enough for the
producer/distributor to use accessible formats (Speex, Vorbis, FLAC,
Theora, etc.) it's not important enough for me to spend time watching.

*Insert Duncan's .sig here*

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest