Paul Colquhoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat,
30 Sep 2006 09:46:00 +1000:

> When I use kmplayer to watch a video (wmv format, in this case) it appears
> I have a choice. If I configure kmplayer to use mplayer, I get sound but
> no picture, conversely, if I configure kmplayer to use mplayer-bin (with
> no other config changes) I get a picture, but no sound.

FWIW, I won't use mplayer-bin, because I have no need to since I don't use
the slaveryware codecs that would be the only reason to use it over the
64-bit version.  That said...

Even back when I didn't feel as strongly about slaveryware and used
binary-only codecs, I found mplayer a constant struggle to get and keep
everything working at once.  I /much/ prefer xine, as it often "just
works" where I'd otherwise still be fighting with mplayer trying to get
the right combination of video and audio codecs to get it to play the
same thing equally well. As it happens, kmplayer can also be merged with
USE=xine, and then you'll get that option for backend player as well as
mplayer.  (A third option is gstreamer, but I've had even less luck with
it than mplayer.)

That said, I suspect your problem is that the file you are trying to play
requires a (formerly?) binary-only video codec, so xine (as currently
unmasked) won't show video either.  Recent posts say the still masked
ffmpeg and xine built on top of it can play formerly binary-codec-only
wmv-9 videos.  I haven't personally tried the unmasking yet so can't
vouch for that myself, but I plan to, and others say it works.

As for mplayer config, both the -bin and 64-bit versions, I'll leave that
for someone else to deal with because as I said I've had little luck with
it.  I can venture a guess, however, that it's /possible/ to get sound
with mplayer-bin, particularly if you have sound with mplayer (64-bit), if
you just get the config right -- which is as I said the hard part with
mplayer, xine is /far/ easier.

Finally, if you are a regular KDE user as I am, I'll pass on a tip passed
to me (@ 'em, thanks, BTW).  kaffeine integrates rather better into
KDE, and is all around a rather more polished player than kmplayer, with a
few features kmplayer is missing (like slowmo and double-speed playback
without sound, variable speed playback with sound so you can watch a 30
minute video in 25 minutes if desired, features like that).  It can make
use of the same backends, at least mplayer and xine, don't know about
gstreamer.