Great solution. I wish my parents did that more often. I also have an
ati radeon xpress 200m. This is what I did to get it working:

emerge ati-drivers
aticonfig --initial /etc/X11/xorg.conf

restart xorg. If that doesn't work, then I had to
echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge ati-drivers

You have to have DRM compiled as a module in the kernel. Sorry, I didn't
read the rest of the post, so I don't know what you tried, but I hope
that helps.

-Peter