It finally happened: openoffice is expected to compile and work natively
  on amd64. In fact, I have just removed the package.mask entry.
Versions starting from 2.0.4 should work and are therefore marked
testing on amd64 (i.e. there still might be problems - please file bugs
if you find any). That also means that you no longer need to run a
multilib profile just because you need openoffice.

I had seen it this morning, and I though "What?!" :)

Which are the real advantages in compiling OOo instead of using -bin?
Except the multilib thing?
I've heard of aging compilation times... :)

thanks
maxxer