"Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Fri,
27 Oct 2006 13:25:43 -0700:

> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 15:58 -0400, sean wrote:
>>
>> ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making
>> /var/tmp/portage/openoffice-2.0.4/work/
>
> Interesting. I don't know if it makes a difference, but for me, emerge
> uses
>
>         /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-2.0.4/work/
>
> for $WORKDIR.

The addition of $CATEGORY in $WORKDIR is very new to portage.  You are
probably running ~amd64 and have a portage with it.  Sean will be running
an older portage (maybe latest stable?), without it.  That's the
difference there.  It /shouldn't/ have anything to do with the problem.