On Saturday 28 October 2006 07:02, Duncan wrote:

> You /could/ try turning sandbox off (in FEATURES).  That's a bit dangerous
> by itself, but if you turn userpriv on at the same time, it should be
> fairly safe.

NO!

Just no!

Never ever turn of sandbox. Without sandbox, files can end everywhere in your
installation, destroying stuff, make apps segfault randomly - and the worst,
portage does not know about them.

Never ever turn of sandbox. And never tell others to do so.
btw
*  sys-devel/gcc
      Latest version available: 4.1.1-r1
      Latest version installed: 4.1.1-r1

and I have sandbox enabled. So it is not a sandbox problem. Something else is
broken on his system.