On Monday 06 November 2006 15:51, Duncan wrote:

> If you have bios entries for configuring it [...] we could try to work
> thru it.

I don't have those BIOS controls I'm afraid.

> Here, as I'm the only human user, I don't have to be [...] strict on
> security.  To keep things simple, /var/tmp is a symlink to /tmp, so I
> don't have to worry about a tmpfs for both dirs.  You'll want to set the
> following in make.conf:
>
> PKG_TMPDIR
> PORTAGE_TMPDIR
> PORTAGE_TMPFS

I decided on an even simpler approach. As I don't really want all the other
stuff in /var/tmp to evaporate every time I shut down, I put /tmp on
tmpfs, with this entry in /etc/fstab:
        tmpfs   /tmp            tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size=85%           0 0

Then I added these entries to /etc/make.conf:
        BUILD_PREFIX="/tmp/portage/build"       # not sure I need this
        CCACHE_DIR="/var/tmp/ccache"    # to make sure it doesn't go looking in
/tmp
        PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"

> Note that setting [PORTAGE_TMPFS] to a small, say 50 meg, tmpfs, is useful
> even if you aren't setting PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs.  It's used for
> quick/small stuff like lockfiles and the like.  The portage docs suggest
> setting it to /dev/shm, an LSB standard location for such things.  I have
> a separate (max 50 meg as I said) tmpfs mounted at /dev/shm and followed
> the recommendation to point PORTAGE_TMPFS at it.

Where did you find this recommendation? I can't find any reference to it.

> Of course, you'll only need PKG_TMPDIR if you have FEATURES=buildpkg set
> or otherwise deal with binary packages.

Same question.

> The disk spends most of its time idle, and you can watch the disk activity
> light and tell when the kernel's cache flush writes kick in, as it blinks
> red a couple times every few seconds.

My SATA disks don't show up on the disk activity LED, but I do have gkrellm
permanently on my desktop and it shows disk activity. I'll watch it with
interest  :-)

Thanks for the help.

--
Rgds