On 12/31/06, Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP

Basically, it's a process of using --depclean -p, and getting a list, then
using common sense and trial and error to figure out what's safe to remove
and what's not.  It's not an easy or simple process, which is why there
are such big warnings on it.  However, it's worthwhile to do once in
awhile, both because it helps keep the troubles away, and because stuff
that it says needs removed is stuff portage won't be regularly updating,
and that can quickly become a security issue if there's a vulnerability in
one of those packages.

Hi Duncan,
  I'm proceeding along getting a number of packages removed which is
good. However here's an example one I'm not sure how to handle or why
it's showing up. I've run --depclean -p and see what appears to be an
unneeded library called libwmf. However when I try tracing my way back
to find what depending on it I eventually get to xine-ui which I use
all the time:

lightning ~ # equery d libwmf
[ Searching for packages depending on libwmf... ]
media-gfx/imagemagick-6.3.0.5
lightning ~ # equery d imagemagick
[ Searching for packages depending on imagemagick... ]
gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.2
media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r3
media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r3
lightning ~ # equery d xine-lib
[ Searching for packages depending on xine-lib... ]
media-sound/amarok-1.4.3-r1
media-video/xine-ui-0.99.5_pre20060716
media-video/totem-2.16.4
lightning ~ #

  I'm pretty sure that if I removed libwfm I'd find I had to reinstall it.

  Am I missing something or incorrect in how I'm tracing back through things?

Thanks in advance,
Mark