Bernhard Auzinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on
Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:45:31 +0100:

> does somebody know how to prevent the persistent-net.rules to be saved
> during the shutdown process?
>
> The background is that I have a network interface with a faulty mac
> adress (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) on a K8N Neo2 (nforce3 ultra). So the kernel
> applys a random mac address to the network interface on every boot. At
> the shutdown process a entry with the randomly generated mac address
> will be written into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. And
> that's my problem, because at the next boot another mac address will be
> applied to the network interface which does not match the one saved to
> persistent-net.rules and udev does not provide an interface eth0.

Interesting.  I have different hardware, but use the macchanger module to
change my MAC at every eth0 up, and don't have the problem here.  udev
must see the original MAC address on my hardware before macchanger gets
to it, and thus set it up correctly.  But if it's rewritten @ shutdown,
why wouldn't it see the macchanger-randomized one then and thus get it
wrong?

So... three suggestions.  One, see if emerging macchanger and configuring
it will cure the problem.  Maybe the system expects it if maccchanger is
used thus explaining why it works with it here and providing a way to
make it work there?  Two, consider tweaking the related variables
(RC_HOTPLUG, RC_COLDPLUG, RC_PLUG_SERVICES) in /etc/conf.d/rc, and see if
you can udev to play nicely that way.  (Here, I have RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!
nt.eth0", allowing me better control of when it goes up, but it generally
works without that, I just like and occasionally need the additional
control.)  Three, you may have to put a manual mknode somewhere in your
scripts.