I think I have made a mess of my installation, but I think its recoverable.

I installed Gentoo AMD64 from the minimal install disk. Next I installed X, gdm and gnome. All went well with the exception of the MS core fonts which threw a checksum error when the trying to install andale.exe. I restarted with emerge --resume --skipfirst and all seemed OK - please correct me if I am wrong here!

First problem - X wouldn't start. After reading around I noted that I should have included

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia"

I re-emerged X but no joy - eventually I manually emerged the xf86 keyboard and mouse drivers and I managed to get into Gnome using the nv driver. Nvidia complains about the kernel being tainted and removing riva drivers from the Kernel - which were not compiled in anyway so I am not sure what is wrong there.

Gnome appears to have 90% of its icons missing - the terminal icon is there but any other icon in the menu is missing and most of the icons on the panel are missing.

So - Several questions:

1. How do I fix the icon problem?

2. What is wrong with Nvidia - I followed the NVidia guide and reinstalled nvidia after recompiling the kernel.

Kevin.