I have been experiencing this problem for quite some time now, but I
have found that when I use gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r4 instead of other
kernels, the problem seems to go away.

Last night, I was trying 2.6.21-r2 to see if I still experienced the
problem.  I had started a lengthy copy process before going to bed.
When I woke this morning, the computer was in fact locked up.  Like
always, the cursor still moved around the screen when I moved the mouse,
but button clicks and keyboard keystrokes had no effect.  Again, I had
to use the Magic SysRq sequence to reboot the machine.  When it had
rebooted, back to 2.6.20-r4, I restarted rsync to finish the copy
process.  To my surprise, the copy was already finished.

I should point out that every time I experience this, I try
unsuccessfully to ssh into my computer.  The computer does not respond
to any network traffic I initiate, SSH, ICMP, HTTP, etc.

I have an nVidia GeForce 6600 running the proprietary "nvidia" driver.
I h ave no DPMS option in my xorg.conf, and xscreensaver is running,
though set to never display a screen saver.

Dustin C. Hatch
http://www.dchweb.com