2007/6/28, Fernando Boaglio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi guys,

I bought a new X2 4000 processor and I have 2 questions:

-- can I use the same cooler (my processor uses the deprecated Socket 939)
?

don't use the same cooler, cause it can break the cpu.... buy a x2
cool&quiet  cooler and update the bios....

-- should I change a lot of attributes in my kernel .config file?

the configuration under processor types and features should be:
Processor family (AMD-Opteron/Athlon64)  --->
< > /dev/cpu/microcode - Intel CPU microcode support
<*> /dev/cpu/*/msr - Model-specific register support
<*> /dev/cpu/*/cpuid - CPU information support
[*] Symmetric multi-processing support
[ ]   SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support (NEW)
[*]   Multi-core scheduler support
(NEW)
 Preemption Model (Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop))  --->
[*] Non Uniform Memory Access (NUMA) Support
[*]   Old style AMD Opteron NUMA detection (NEW)   -> this one could be
needed for old 939 sockets but i don't know if the x2 works in that socket
[*] ACPI NUMA detection (NEW)
[*] NUMA emulation
Memory model (Discontiguous Memory)  --->
[*] Provide RTC interrupt
(2) Maximum number of CPUs (2-256) (NEW)
[*]   Intel MCE features
[*]   AMD MCE features
Timer frequency (100 HZ)  --->
[*] Function reordering

then enable all the cpu scaling governors under power management option, amd
powernow directly in the kernel (not as module, cause the udev would not
load it at boot time) and add cpufrequtils as a boot service with the
conservative module....
obvioulsy you'll need thermal, fan, processor and ac adapter.... i compiled
this in the kernel support so that i wouldn't need an initramdisk.... but
this is your choice on how to compile them....
after that you should look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/ on howtos for the use
flags, cause you could have some new use flags to use....

TIA

[]'s
Fernando Boaglio