On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 10:41 +0200, Tonko Mulder wrote:
> Does anyone has this notice when restarting ntpd?
>
> Zebaoth tonko # /etc/init.d/ntpd restart
>  * Caching service dependencies ...                                       [
> ok ]
>  * Stopping ntpd ...                                                      [
> ok ]
>  * Starting ntpd ...
> *** WARNING *** The program 'ntpd' uses the Apple Bonjour
> compatibility layer of Avahi.
> *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
> *** WARNING *** For more information see
> <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=ntpd>
>
> Tonko Mulder

Yes.  It happens whenever anything uses the Bonjour API and you have
avahi providing it.  There's a  workaround: you can set
AVAHI_COMPAT_NOWARN to 1 (presumably in the ntp init script?).  Or, you
can emerge ntp with -zeroconf.  Or, you can do like I do, and ignore the
warning.  It's not an important one.

Daniel