Enrico Weigelt, mused, then expounded:
> * Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Quite uncertain. The machine is very stable w/o the NV drivers.
> > > But just loading the kernel module and waiting a few mins
> > > ends up in an total lockup. I could 100% reproduce this problem with
> > > several nv-chipset based notebooks (different geforce versions).
> > > Ah, and there had been an preinstalled Vista on that box, which
> > > worked perfectly with 3D stuff.
> > > So I don't think it's an hw issue.
> >
> > and vista has a much better power managment than linux - could still be
> > overheating.
>
> Overheating a few mins after *cold* start and w/ using the 3D stuff
> (just by loading the kernel module and waiting a bit ?). Still seems
> very uncertain.

More likely it's a poor motherboard design around the voltage regulators.  I've
seen numerous instances where Windows works - because motherboard vendors cheat
in ACPI and power hacking via the bios, when Linux (or any other Unix like os)
won't.

Have you upgraded the bios?  Or kept it up-to-date?  Even for Linux, if the
chips
and data paths don't get initialized correctly, problems can surface.

FWIW - I've run a GeForce 6600 GT for several now on a diffcult screen - SGI
FP1600,
and, while I have had problems with the driver on ocassion - 1600x1080 isn't
common nor
VESA, it hasn't let me down.  In fact the only time I've had to drop to 2D is
for the
old Quadro 1 and 2 cards running in some other systems.

Bob
-