Theres currently work on a 64-bit plugin.  Add the java-gcj-overlay and
emerge dev-java/gcj-jdk with the nsplugin use flag.  Then 'eselect
java-nsplugin list' shows:

Available 32-bit Java browser plugins
Available 64-bit Java browser plugins
  [1]   gcj-jdk-4.3  current

and in firefox about:plugins show

GCJ Web Browser Plugin 0.96-pre
File name: libgcjwebplugin.so The GCJ Web Browser Plugin executes Java
applets.Quite alpha & crashes often, but definitely shows promise.

Wil