On Donnerstag 27 November 2008, Fernando Boaglio wrote:
> Hi again, =)
>
> Yesterday I was installing my Gentoo from stage3 and I noticed (with
> htop) even though my machine has 4Gb, only 350mb (tops) was used
> during compilation.
>
> Is there any way to improve my memory usage  ?

if it doesn't need more, it won't use more. You can speed things up a bit with
-pipe cflag and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs

> Another question: the cooler from quadcore box is too much noisy, and
> my old machine ( X2 4200+ - Socket 939) has an excellent Zalman cooler
> , but will be safe to use it ?

Zalman and excellent? Really?

Check their website. Most Zalman coolers aren' compatible with AM2 or not
powerfull enough.

http://www.frostytech.com/
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
has a lot of cooler reviews.